Saturday, January 22, 2011

Effective Communication Skills & Me

~To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others~
                                                                                -Anthony Robbins


Communication dates back to the time when life first started. Animals communicated with its own kind as well as other animals using visuals - the bright colors of a poison-dart frog , 

These frogs native to Central and South America display aposematic patterns to warn off potential predators. Their bright coloration is associated with their toxicity.
smell - the foul odors from a skunk,

and sound - plenty of examples
Even plants communicate as well http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081023113107.htm. We humans have evolved from the Great Apes and our communication was revolutionized with speech and writing. 

Speech is a very efficient form of communication and language in my opinion is one of the most powerful tools on Earth. It allows people to pass on information with speed and precision. I am sure many of us had come to face with language barriers and experienced the inconveniences as well as the embarrassments it had caused when we try to express ourselves using hand signs and body movements. A simple language dictionary would have saved the day. 

The need to understand one another is crucial in today's context. To me, this is why having effective communication skills is important. A writer writes not because he is educated. He writes because of his need to communicate, to share and to be understood. Writing is as powerful as speech. It offers people a way to preserve their thoughts and memories. It also gives one time to think before they "speak". We often tend to say things without going through some thinking and as a result, the words that come out of our lips rarely meant what we wanted to convey. We unintentionally hurt people's feelings and create misunderstandings. Undeniably, I am guilty of this and I am aware of its consequences ( such as decreased chance in securing a prospective job, unhappy marriage etc) so here I am, taking the first step to change myself for the better.

Like what Anthony Robbins an American self-help author had said, we must not neglect the fact that no two individuals are the same in the way they view things. Being able to speak well is only one aspect of good communication. Active listening is another. I was once known to my friends as someone with a domineering character. I used to enforce my ideas upon others but I soon realize (after an unpleasant confrontation) , that I need to listen to others and open myself up to new ideas. Not surprisingly, team dynamics quickly improved and so did interpersonal relationships. This is another reason why I feel having effective communication skill is important.

Communication is a two way process. See what other see, feel how others feel.

9 comments:

Shawn Tham said...

Hi Terence!

Yes, I too feel that having effective communication skill is importantly, particularly in face to face communication.

It is an irony that given today's wide internet coverage allowing for more channels(and speedier too) of communication such as SMS or Email, that these channels are often taking longer for an idea or a message to get across instead compared to face to face communication. Agree?

Take for example when I had to appeal to CORS for one of my modules, they took almost one week to reply me. What's worse was that I got kicked around like a soccer ball, deflected to other faculties by a 'taiji' move. I was desperate because of the deadline scheduled by CORS (I'm sure you do know CORS is the bane of every NUS students' life). Things were finally settled after I got fed up and went down in person to appeal.

So this is the reason why I believe effective communication is important for us now in NUS too. Haha. Hopefully after this course, we may be able to get our points across quickly (and maybe our way too).

Terter said...

Hi Shawn!

Yes! I agree that though our telecommunication service providers boast high connection speeds and clear, crisp sounds etc, it is in fact a much slower channel than face-to-face communication. The fact that an instant sms or email could be ignored is a good example.

I experienced a similar situation as well (once again with those telecomm service providers) in which I was forced to listen to waiting tunes before I was referred to another department with yet another waiting tune. Sometimes it seems that the only solution is to make direct contact.

Thanks for commenting and sharing your experience! =)

Shawn Tham said...

Haha! Starhub?! Starhub never picks up the phone whenever you see this on the television, "Signal lost. Adjust the connection or dial 1633". At the end of the waiting tune "Please email us, our operators are busy at the moment etc etc etc)". The email reply took 2 weeks. "Hi Sir, we are calling from STarhub about the complaint you made TWO WEEKS AGO". Ridiculous!

I bet if there is a "Press 1 for Compliment" on the automated voice system, the call will be answered in no time!

Perhaps Ms Lim could incorporate in the course "How to turn complaints into compliment for better communication of displeasure". Ha!

Xiu Qin said...

Hi Terence!
Interesting article about communication in plants! There are indeed many different ways of communication. I agree that face-to-face communication can be considered the most efficient form. I also had a similar situation with CORS during the bidding period. I was unable to declare my choice of major as the only option offered was applied chemistry. I appealed in round 0 and the problem was not solved. It was dragged until the last day of round 1A until I when down personally to the Science Dean office where the situation was sorted out in a couple of mintues! When I emailed the Chemistry administration office, all they replied was that 'due to the high volume of appeals, we were unable to process your appeal right now'! I mean I appealed for a few days already and if I could not declare my major, I would not be even able to bid for my core modules. Seriously, I believe that because the appeal was not done face-to-face they discount the urgency of the situation.

I believe music is also an effective channel for communication to occur(besides spoken words). Music can transcend across the language barrier. From the tempo and melody, music can bring a message to the audience too although I feel that with the lyrics, the message can be better brought across though.

Terter said...

Yea! Music is definitely a good channel for communication because we can relate to the lyrics of certain songs and and get a feel of what the songwriter is trying to express. Even if one doesn't understand the lyrics, he/she can sense "feelings" in the rhythm. So true to say that music is a universal language!

Unknown said...

Hi! Terrence!
Thanks for presenting such an interesting post. Also it is an insightful one because of the reflection on yourself. I agree that speaking well and active listening plays equally important role in interpersonal communication.
Haha.. It is so interesting to read the dialogue between shawn and you. Communication failure happens all the time. Have a nice day!^^

LISU said...

HELLO TERENCE,

I love those comic strips and how they complement the topic you bring up about the various communication channels by animals. This also supports the famous saying of "a picture speaks a thousand words".

Indeed, colours play an important role in providing us with different information. For example, the danger sign at construction site is always red. Red is one of the colour which catches our attention. Hence with use of this colour, it brings out the message of danger more effectively as opposed to the use of other colours such as blue.

The choice of colour is a good skill which can be applied to presentation slides. Good presentation slides can complement the speaker's idea, catching the attention of the audience whilst on the other hand, result in loss of interest of audience. One good example is your blog, it catches my attention because it is my favourite colour, baby PINK!!!!!! :)

Terter said...

Hi Lisu,
Thank you for reading! Yes, visuals are really important to us and our communication skills would be severely handicapped if we had lost our sense of sight.

I really enjoy those comic strips too (in this case the one with the giraffe & rhino) because it conveys its message effectively and humorously, sometimes with a tinge of sarcasm. Do look forward to my future post =)

Ms. Lim said...

Hi Terence,

Thank you for the informative and interesting post!

The use of graphics helped get your message across to your audience very well. Judging from the responses from your readers, your article certainly grabbed quite a bit of attention.

I like the way you developed the post; the quote at the beginning grabbed my attention, and another quote by the same author in the concluding paragraph ended the post memorably. Excellent!

You also used good strategies to keep your readers interested; and the relevant examples you shared shed light on why effective communication is important to you.

Keep up the good work, Terence! I definitely am looking forward to your second blog post.

Post a Comment